Thursday, May 23, 2013

Some High Level Persian Grammar Notes

Before I start posting any Persian grammar or vocab work I've done, I should mention that this site isn't intended to teach Persian from the ground up. As a  current Farsi student, I think I'd be getting well ahead of myself if I started trying to teach anyone else the language. I do, however, wish to share the work that I do in the hopes that it might benefit others who are learning Persian. You'll be able to see my mistakes, see groupings of new vocab, and see compilations of grammatical tenses. For any native Persian speakers who happen upon this blog, I'm sure you'll be able to get a laugh out of some of my practice and homework sentences (some weeks I'm better than others).

Anyone who's interested in learning some Persian online should definitely check out the site http://www.easypersian.com. It starts with the Persian alphabet and then provides a ton of information.

Having said all of that, here are some high level notes on the first topics I reviewed with my tutor Soheil. This will give you an idea of where I stood when I returned to Farsi lessons in November of 2012.

In our first few lessons, Soheil reviewed some foundational characteristics of Farsi. Like when to use 'را' after direct objects (I think this is universally challenging for many native English speakers learning Persian), and the all important fact that in Persian, unlike in English, nouns come before the adjectives that describe them.

In English, we would say "the fast, red car." In Persian, the order would be "car red fast." 
 

1 comment:

  1. Hey. I think you should post even more complex tenses if you know them such as condition sentences (if). This tense has 4 or 5 types. eg. If you heat water, it boils. Or if you go there, you will see. etc. Also you could expand on some tenses. Such as past perfect continuous. I had been going there. I'm almost certain that it's anja mirafte budam. One final thing, you should remember that there is a HUGE difference between colloquial and formal Farsi and if you want to speak it and understand conversations, formal Farsi is useless. No one will say for future 'i will go there' man anja khoham raft'. They'll say unja (not anja) miram. If you want a good book that teaches both formal and colloquial and focuses mainly on colloquial you should get 'Modern Persian: Spoken and Written'. Good post!

    ReplyDelete