Thursday, May 23, 2013

Blog Introduction

After receiving some feedback following my first post, I realize I probably should have kicked this thing off with some information about myself and why I created this blog. So here it goes:

My name is Jordan and I started graduate school in January 2013 after a five year stint in consulting. I really enjoyed the challenges consulting presented; working in a variety of industries, solving unique problems, and designing business solutions. However, my passions have always been international affairs and language, so here I am back in school.

A couple of years before I started grad school, I hired a private tutor at a language school and began studying Persian/Farsi (I'll use those interchangeably on this site). My tutor was a native speaker who taught me the Persian alphabet, vocab, and how to write sentences in the simple present, simple past, and future tenses. My tutoring and Persian studies, though, were cut short when I was offered a consulting assignment in the Netherlands for a year.

When I returned home, I was pretty out of practice as far as Persian goes. I made an appointment with the Persian professor at the university where I planned to enroll, and she recommended that I take some lessons as a refresher prior to joining the Spring Persian 2 class. I was referred to a doctoral student at my university, Soheil, who is a Farsi native speaker.

I've been taking lessons with Soheil since that time (November 2012), first as a refresher and then to compliment the coursework of my Persian class. The idea for this blog came out of one of our Farsi lessons. I told Soheil I wanted a better way to keep track of and share the language work we do. He thought a valuable next step in my Persian studies would be reading and interpreting articles from Persian language newspapers and magazines. The end result is this blog.

Postings will either be related to grammar and vocab lessons we've completed, or stories that would otherwise be inaccessible to non-Persian speakers. My hope is that sharing some of these news stories will help broaden the understanding of Iran for anyone who happens to read this blog. As I've gradually discovered, there is far more to the internal politics of Iran than the same two or three news lines that are picked up and dissected by international media.

Enjoy!   

No comments:

Post a Comment